The City

There was an accident today while I was in Cheras. I didn't see what happened but there was a large crowd there. It could possibly be a gunfight, a snatch theft, a demonstration gone wrong but no, it couldn't be. It's definitely an accident. I'm sure of this.

The streets of Kuala Lumpur have always amazed me. Every road, every little street, every corner you take, you'll still get to where you're going. Some are further, some are jam-packed but it gets the job done nonetheless.

People say you don't know how to curse until you know how to drive. One the road we are all every one else's fool, bastard, fucker, babi, anak haram and setan. That is the one thing we share. You can't never be perfect. Sometimes you are too slow, sometimes you are too fast, sometimes you don't signal, sometimes you signal too early. There's always something for someone to complain.

I am reckless. I can only imagine what the other drivers are calling me.

Kuala Lumpur is a very romantic place for me. Have you ever stopped for a while and give that name, Kuala Lumpur an honest thought. Kuala. Lumpur. It kinda sound weird don't you think? Our neighbour's capital, Jakarta means victory, Bangkok's official name, Krung Thep Mahanakhon means The City of Angels. If our city is founded in this age and time, no way they're going to call it Kuala Lumpur. It'll probably be Kelang Perdana or some other fancy adjectives like those that grace the many Damansaras.

We suck at naming places nowadays. How could we change the colourful and dramatic Batang Berjuntai to Bestari Jaya. Bestari Jaya of all things. Just because there's a university there.

So why are we content with a city with mud in its name? Familiarity I guess. Say it often and it'll lose its meaning. Here's a little trivia; before Merdeka, Taiping went head on with Kuala Lumpur in bidding to become the Federation's capital. Taiping lost. It then went on to lose another bid against Ipoh to become Perak's capital. It then lived a happy life as 'the retiree's town', simple and pleasant.

If Taiping somehow trounced Kuala Lumpur in becoming the capital, can you imagine how the country is now? The mighty Klang Valley would be a footnote, replaced by the Kinta Valley. Yes, sure Taiping is outside of Kinta Valley but the same goes for Klang Valley, enlarged beyond its geographical boundaries.

I used to read and collect issues after issues of KLue magazine. This was back when I lived in that small town of Kuala Kangsar. I was that small town kid dreaming of the life in the big city, imagining this and that. What I love about the magazine was the last page (then, I'm not sure about now; haven't picked it up for so long) there will be an interview with the movers and shakers of the city.

My favourite question: What does being a KLite means to you.

Of course, the magazine isn't going to interview me but to me, I want to believe that being a KLite, is more of a state of mind.

Why?

About this entry