I What?

I guess by the this things goes online, most of us Malaysians would've seen this ad, be it on TV, at the movies or on print. So what's the big deal about this ad?

Well, I've been thinking about it since the first time I saw the ad (or so I think..) but it wasn't until Kimal pointed it out last week that urged me to write something about it. When you look at the ad, what do you see? How do you read the text? Well, most people I ask answered this, "I love Music". You did the same too didn't you? But did you asked yourself, why did you interpret the Sony Ericsson (SE) logo as to mean love? Why not other things... why not hate, why not eat why not stop? Why love?

Well, I guess it had something to do with human perception.. red is for danger, green is Islamic, a cross is always Cristian, a red lightsaber is Sith. On the advertising side, SE is definately going for a campaign to boost its brand presence and awareness because as I see it, the whole campaign is not just to promote one product, but the whole range. Now, this may sounds trivial but the truth is, this campaign could really have a strong sentiment on our psyche. By having the impression that the wording read as "I love music", it creates an imprint on our mind and with enough repetation of the ad it trained the mind to associate the SE logo as to mean love.

To create emotion ties with a product is always a good move and it also work for things other than products. Conflicts for example, some people just don't give a damn about a conflict in faraway Africa so to gain public awareness, they put in a human drama in it say, a mother who lost her baby, a picture of people crying on top of their demolished houses and bingo, you got people's attention. The same goes to products and this is probably the way SE is taking its brand.

And oh, SonyEricsson is a little bit late don't you think? Nokia beat them years ago when they came out with their Connecting People and The Human Technology tagline .

Labels: ,


About this entry