Celebration

I've read somewhere sometime ago that chivalry died the day women demanded equal rights.

Okay, now that I've got your attention.. here goes.

Yesterday was the International Women's Day which weirdly enough was said to celebrate the equality between the genders. Don't we have an Gender Equality Day to celebrate that? Yesterday was supposed to be a celebration for women's achievement throughout history if you ask me. Those two are different things in my opinion. Success comes from you being smart and work real hard.

Speaking of days and celebration, I believe we should cherish and celebrate our loves one everyday and not just on one particular day am I right? That is why we don't celebrate Valentine's Day kan? Kan kan?

Then again, we do celebrate Teacher's Day. Shouldn't we cherish and celebrate the teaching profession every single day instead of just being nice and flower giving to them only on one particular day and go back to being jerks the day after? I mean, it's the same thing right with Valentine's?

Let's not forget Mother's Day. Shouldn't we celebrate and cherish our moms all year round instead of going to Memory Lane once a year to buy her a nifty card for a hefty price for her to stick on the fridge? And what about Father's Day? The man toils all year round to buy you that iPod and PSP, get you that nice Prada handbag, provide you an education in a place that is super awesome and not forgetting those food on the table. Why do we only celebrate him only on one day? And oh! Birthdays. Are we only thankful for our lives just once a year?

What about our other 'special' days? Hari Pahlawan, Hari Merdeka. These are the days that falls into the same concept as Valentine's Day: to remember something. If we are to continue dismissing Valentine's Day with the same lame argument, then let us not celebrate anything again after this. After all, why celebrate on just one particular day when you should cherish it all year round right?

Yeah, I'm struggling to be sarcastic.

The keyword here is remembrance. Yeah love is all around us every single day, between us and our loved ones, between friends, between members of a family. It is essentially a part of our daily lives and as all things like that, we tend to forget about it because it is somewhat routine. A day of celebration is for us to stop for a while and take a good look at this things and notice them. The same goes for everything else, our father and mother, our soldiers, our independence, our lives.

So okay, the origins of Valentine's Day is Christian and it is against aqidah to celebrate it. Just give me that as why I can't celebrate Valentine's. That is good enough for me. Don't go around saying stupid things without thinking about it first. Don't go around preaching that oh, I don't celebrate Valentine's Day because I celebrate my love every single day and not just on one day. I am soooo awesome because of that. No. Just say that I don't celebrate it because I am a Muslim and celebrating it can cause complications in my belief in God, but hey, why don't you go and celebrate it, I'm happy for you.

As far as Valentine's Day goes, I'm happy that such a day and such a celebration exists in our world. I don't care whether it's Christian, or Pagan or Buddhism. All of us are human beings which God created equal. None is a race of space reptilian sent here millennias ago to devour us. I don't care what colour is your skin, which deity you worship, what you eat, what you drink. There is too much hate in this world today and I am very thankful for each and everyone of you out there who preach for love. Even if you are a Christian Saint. God knows me more that all of you do.

After all, we Muslims do celebrate the Maulidul Rasul to remember Prophet Muhammad S.A.W and his teaching when he himself never celebrated his birthday. Why remember the Prophet only every 12 Rabiulawal when we should remember, celebrate and cherish him every single day?

So yeah..

Oh, in case your still angry about that chivalry thing up there, I believe that chivalry died the day men stop riding horses to war. Wester American Dictionary, Chivalry, first meaning.

About this entry