Cendol

I have a thing for cendol. Good cendols that is, especially great cendol puluts though I don't like cendol kacang.

It's probably the best thing to grab on a hot day's afternoon, provided of course, it was not during Ramadan for us Muslims.

Maybe I got this from 5 years in Kuala Kangsar. I know that the cendol pulut part was definitely because of Kuala Kangsar and like your mama's cooking, it'll always be the best you've ever had.

I've been having quite some problems with getting good cendol in the Valley. Most of the time when I order one in restaurants (my bad), it'll probably turn out to be something half way between a bad cendol and a not so good ais kacang. One time the cendol was red, so not appropriate. Some more they throw in all the jagungs and kacang and those things that looks like berudu in it. Very inappropriate.

One place I do like is the cendol in Tasek Titiwangsa where Jalan Kuantan crosses that other Pahang named road. Sadly they are no more there. I wonder why.

I've heard about Melawati but I haven't had the chance to try that one yet. I don't go around that area much.

This photo here was taken in Section 17, Petaling Jaya. The first left into Jalan University from Bulatan Rothmans, where there's terrace houses on the left, PKNS flats on the right. Now, this place makes good cendol. I'm so very glad Neet introduced me to this place around early this year if I'm not mistaken.

Like all good cendols, this fellas do business from their lorry. Next to them is another fella selling rojak. I don't eat rojak so I've never tried it but from what I see, business is good for both diesel guzzlers.

Still, if you just tell them that you want a cendol, you'll get one with kacang and jagung. If you're like me, ask for a cendol kosong. They come in two sizes; biasa and besar. Both are good sizes, none too big nor too small.

I don't know if they are open during Ramadan, but feel free to go there and have a look. It is seriously good. If you beg to differ, or have any other parked lorries you would want to share, drop a comment aite?


August 2009.
Section 17, Petaling Jaya.
Minolta X700 + Minolta MD 50/1.7 + Kodak Colorplus 200 + A sinful cup of cold, sweet and probably unhealthy goodness.

About this entry