Love conquers all

This one goes out to the one I love

How sweet was it for Francesco Colonna to write an epic book with deep, hidden meaning to profess his love to Polia, with hidden narratives hidden deep within lines and lines of another narrative instead of just kneeling in front of her or sing to her underneath her window like good old Romeo?

Probably because Love, conquers all.

The Rule of Four taught me that. It was also why I wanted to go to Yale. Why? Smart people go to Yale. I thought that I was smart, or maybe smart enough to get into Yale and be yet smarter there. Alas, places doesn't make you smart, it's either you're smart or you're not. The place is like the apple that fell on Newton's head. It inspired him. He is smart and thus he discovered gravity.

Ar-Pharazon learnt that the hard way when he sailed west of Numenor to the Undying Lands, seeking immortality. The elves are not immortal because they live in Valinor, Valinor is the land of the immortals because immortal elves lives there.

I used to know a bit of Tolkien's elvish back when I read his Middle Earth stories as seriously as I read history. I read history very seriously. I find Quenya to be very pleasing, soothing and appropriate for the immortal beings while Sindarin sounded like an European language; okay, but just okay. At one point I asked myself, if I can be interested with a constructed language with make belief history, why am I flunking French?

Elementary my dear Watson; Tolkien created a place that interest me enough to capture my attention while French is taught in a dark, cramped and hot classroom in Kuala Kangsar. Maybe I could imagine I was dans uné magasin sur la Siene, but there wasn't any motivation. Sigh..

That is one of my life's regret, flunking French.

Oh, did you know Sherlock Holmes never said that? Elementary my dear Watson. Never. It's kinda like Darth Vader saying 'Luke, I am your father'. Nah, our friend Anakin never said that to his kid. Both are misquotations that became sorta acceptable since people are too lazy to find out things for themselves.

Find out things for ourselves. Maybe I'll do that. Fuck Rule of Four, fuck Yale. I want to find out for myself why Love conquers all, and why we kept on letting that happen instead of tearing the chest of that son of a bitch open and feast on his hot, still beating heart with him witnessing it.

That is probably why Francesco wrote that book to Polia. To let her find out things for herself.

"You're smart enough to understand it all my love, or do I still need to say it to you?"

September 2009.
Rawang.
Minolta X700 + Minolta MD 50/1.7 + Expired Fuji Superia 100 + Swing, swing, swing...

About this entry