31 in 55

I was doing this video last month, a video kesedaran on the issue of buang bayi. In the video, there was this one segment about happy families, that showcases how some people really value and treasure their offsprings, eventhough they face tremendous hardships in bringing them up.

A family that has to deal with a son that is handicapped, a women whose husband kidnapped their child and flew the boy away to Europe and of course, families living in poverty.

I was scrubbing through some footage while a friend beside me was cutting up a part about one-such poverty stricken family. After a while, he played the footage. It was of a father, in some village up north in the peninsula.

Kita miskin kan? Kadang-kadang tu saya rasa sedih la bila anak mintak kita belikan apa-apa barang, tapi kita tak mampu nak beli.. Ye la kan, barang macam.. nasik goreng..

Nasik goreng. I stopped doing my work and asked my friend to replay the video.

Wow.

Nasik goreng.

Back when I was in high school my buddies and I makan nasik goreng almost on a daily basis. It was a no-brainer choice. Simple, fast, tasty, cheap.

Apparently cheap is subjective. Relative.

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are. We grumble when our parents won't buy us that Nike Air Presto, or when they told us to get As in exams before thinking about buying us that PlayStation, when they are people who have to save money just to buy their kids nasik goreng.

Sure, it's not your fault that you're born rich. It's not your fault that you're born poor either. But either way, I guess as clichéd as it is, we should learn to appreciate.

Wanting what you have and you'll have what you want.

I guess I need to learn that. No.. live that.

*

Fa-biayyi alaa'i Rabbi kuma tukadzdzi ban?

Maka nikmat Tuhanmu yang manakah yang kamu dustakan?

La bisyay-in min alaika Rabbî akdzibu.

Tidak ada satu pun nikmat-Mu, duhai Tuhanku, yang aku dustakan.

Insyaallah. Alhamdulillah.

About this entry