Chek


This is a photo of Chek and I.

Chek is Ma's father.

Ma is my father's mother.

Ma is my grandmother.

Chek is my great grandfather.

Chek passed away peacefully at 4.00 pm on the 8th of February 2009.

He was probably born in 1919.

This photo was snapped in 2004.

That was the last time I had a photo snapped with him, and of him for that matter.

How long has it been? How many photos since? 13,000?

I feel stupid.

Stupid for taking pictures of flowers, trees, roads, walls, cats, chairs, tables and all that other thing and not the pictures of the people around me.

I'm sorry Chek, I should've given you more attention.

We all should've given you more attention.

You might not know Chek but he is a person of his time, who had the chance to live quite a long while in our time.

Think of Chek as your great grandfather, or his colleague, his friend, someone he might know or even someone he might brushed shoulders with at the market.

Chek embodies his generation, a generation without much members left.

Let's remember that generation.

Al-fatihah to Chek, Al-fatihah to his generation.

May Allah bless their soul.

Terima kasih Chek, harap-harap syurga ada sungai sarsaparilla.

Kirim salam dekat Mok, Ayah Mat, Kak Aini and Tok Wan deh?

I'll take a group photo of us all when I get there. I promise.

About this entry