A story from a friend

"Takde spoon ke? Eww.. you eat with your hands?.. Tak dirty ke? You don't know where your hands have been.."

"Of course I knew where my hands have been.. it goes with me everywhere"

"Yeah.. like the toilet"

"Yeah, like the toilet of course.. and that is why people wash their hands before eating"

"Like that change anything.."

"Well, at least you get to do it yourself.. as long and thorough as you like"

"I still think it's disgusting"

"Well, I didn't see you wash your spoon before you put it in your mouth"

"Because it's clean!"

"What makes you so sure? Did you see the waiter or anyone wash it? How do you know they didn't just picked it up from the last guy's plate and wiped it with some tissue paper"

"What makes YOU so sure?"

"No. I'm not sure. That's why I use my hand. At least I'm sure I did my best to clean it. And if I had to use spoons, I'd probably do the same"

"Whatever, let's just eat. Still it looks uncivilized you know.. eating with your hands"

*

I have nothing against people opting for spoons and forks over bare hands when they don't need to use them. It's just that this sorta attitude yang aku tak tahan.

Holier than thou.

What's so civilized about using spoons? What's so uncivilized about using hands? The Mayan people built amazing structures and used a far more precise calender than ours but they are uncivilized because they didn't use spoons?

Real mat sallehs are cooler than people who are trying hard to be mat salleh.

About this entry