Pulau Pinang

I tuned to Red104 one day last week where the DJs were arguing over having a vacation by the beach or in the city. Lucky I didn't have any prepaid credit left then or I might just call to remind them of a place that has both: Penang. Oh, how I miss Penang.


Anyway, yes I just came back from my kampung in Penang. Naturally I would love to say that my kampung is actually in Kedah but looking at things these days, Penang would be a more honest answer.. Tisk, I miss Kedah.

On the way back I managed to drove the Chevy all the way from Rawang to Kuala Kangsar to pick Arif up and then straight to Penang. I remember Mak telling me how my Tok Wan singlehandedly drove from Aloq Staq all the way to KL.. ikut jalan lama. If he can, I can too. Anyway, at MCKK I took the opportunity to pick up my SPM certificate from the office and meet a few teachers. It's sad to know that though they find me familliar, not all remember me all that well. I surely missed MCKK.

The initial reason for me to be back in Penang was to have a medical checkup thing there and since the hospital only opens on weekdays, I have the weekend to kill.. and what better way to do that if not with my good College buddies. Cot was kind enough to pick me up at Pokok Sena and drove us all the way to Queensbay Mall on the island where Ober will be waiting. Though I've met Cot quite a few times after MCKK, the last time I met Ober was March 2006 so I was quite excited. The plan was for us to watch Pirates of The Carribbean 3 there.. a movie which I've watched earlier with Neet. Nevertheless, I did say nothing to Cot or Ober. It's a good movie, I don't mind watching it twice.

Queensbay Mall is one of the new ones on the island but sadly it is not in Georgetown, a city I very much keen on visiting but never really had any chance to. Most of my memories of Georgetown are those when I was still living in Aloq Staq where the family would occasionally visit the island (since Aloq Staq had nothing back then..). I remember a McDonalds drivethru which trully is magical back then at that age, which I now wonder if it is still there, wherever it was. I remember visiting Tok Wan at Saint George's Institution on Jalan Macalister, a Francis Light statue nearby and lots and lots of old buildings along the road. I remember going to Prangin Mall and Gurney Plaza with Munggay and Mujahid last year and.. well, that's probably what I remember about Georgetown. But I do remember Eddy and Am's amazed face when I told them I don't really have a clue where Padang Kota was.. memalukan, since I told them that my kampung is is Penang.

Back in Pokok Sena, life was very much different. I don't know why I noticed it this time but time really does tick more slowly over there. Honestly. Here in Rawang, a day start and ends just like that but in Pokok Sena, waiting for the clock to pass noon was tiring in is own right. I guess it might be that Einstein's Theory of Relativity thing. Reminds me of how addicted I am to the Internet, and how much time I wasted online.. Nevertheless, I really missed being back in the Valley. It might be hectic and good char kuey teows are hard to find but it's home. And oh, I miss home..

Last weekend was indeed a trip of self discovery and I can conclude that I am very much a city person and from where I'm standing, I couldn't see that to change anytime soon..

Labels:


About this entry