Sentimental tentang Lucy

I've just upgraded the RAM on this 4, 5 years old computer from the stock 256MB using another 256MB stick I found lying on the floor in my Sri Kembangan flat. It made a world of difference.

Just a friendly reminder to people thinking of getting quad-core, dual workstation graphic cards computer just for normal use. Maybe the only think you need to get that old computer to work better is just a cheap silicon stick. Maybe.

*

One day a few years back I was flipping through KLue, reading about cool things happening in KL. Then, I was in Kuala Kangsar. In there, I found an article about a band called Lucy in the Loo. Wow. With a name like that, they surely kick ass. I was more impressed when I learnt that the vocalist and the bassist are 2 ladies. Back then most underground band I knew about are fronted by screaming men. 

I went back to Rawang and on this computer, via dial up Internet I went to look for this band. It was tiring, cumbersomely slow but I waited for the songs to load on i-bands and listen to them one by one. I was hooked to Lucy.

So one day I was walking in One Utama. There used to be a Wondermilk shop there then at where the Beach shop now is, near the Rock Corner thing. I used to go there a lot, looking at CDs and getting to know bands such as Badly Drawn Boy and such. The stuffs were cool, cheap but I was still penny-less. Still I saw one think that I didn't have to think twice to purchase. A CD case, with a blue cover art of a girl holding a pair of scissors. People and Things.

I went back home and listened to it. In there, I was hooked to another song that managed to stay in my all time favourite playlist, along with Boxcar Racer's There Is and Manic Street Preacher's Your Love Alone Is Not Enough. Selamat Jalan. I love that song regardless of the fact that the recording was so-so and the voices are hard to understand . I love it.

Lucy was one of the main reason why I went to the last Rock The World 2 years ago. Lucy's slot was quite early, the sun was still up. From a far Alep and I managed to catch a glimpse of Hana with her rainbow strapped Strat. Alep had a crush on Hana. Haha.. After they performed we tried to gather some nerve to go and take a picture with Hana. She was literally a few meters away but the nerve never came and there was never a picture.. Oh well.

Anyway, a few years passed and more bands came in. I still keep on listening to Lucy's song in my laptop. It was only a few weeks back did I notice something when I look at gig flyers that I get: where is Lucy? So yesterday I opened their MySpace page and the headline read: RIP 2002-2007. Owh..

So yeah, it is kind of sad to know that a band I admire gone. Still I wish all the best for Hana, Syamil, Alijo and Zaza. Thanks for giving me a few great songs to live by. A few great song for the soundtrack of my life.

And oh, thank you for finally posting the lyrics for Selamat Jalan. I've been waiting for that for years. If I wake up tomorrow and magically know how to play a guitar, that's about the first few songs that I'll play.


About this entry