From Belarus with a Motorbike


Bukit Bintang is full of strange things. Spend enough time and you'll stumble upon some stranger things.

*

Today I met Vladimir Yarets on the sidewalk of Jalan Bukit Bintang. Vladimir who?

Mr. Yarets is from Minsk, Belarus. Since 27 May 2000 he started on an endavour to travel the world on his motorbike and after 8 years of traveling, he successfully covered Europe, The Americas, Australia and is now in Kuala Lumpur on his Asian leg of the long journey. He brought along a map of the places he visited and from the look of it, he still have South Asian and Africa left to explore before getting a shot at the Guinness World Record.

Interesting isn't it? No? Well, consider this: he's also deaf and mute.

I told Neet about it and she asked me how the heck did I 'talked' to a deaf and mute person, from Belarus some more. Haha.. Well, it was hard at first but seeing how much I am able to understood Mr. Yarets by only his hands on the map and his expressions, I decided to give it a try. I noticed he have a Soviet sticker on his bike so I pointed at myself, then at Moscow and St. Petersburg on the map, then to the Soviet Army belt I was wearing then back again at the map. He smiled at the sight of the belt buckle and gave me the two thumbs up sign. I think he understood what I meant because he immediately went on to compare Malaysia and Russia. The weather that is.

Our small conversation went on with him telling me how much he enjoy the food here (heh) and how he had hard time eating using the chopsticks in Japan. He again (and again) complained about the weather up north where he's from and the hassle of having to wear all that winter gear as well as how this part of the world is a little to hot for his liking. Haha.. If I was conversing with him with words these things are nothing but to understand all this sans words is enough to put a smile on my face.

It's amazing how far two different parts of the world could go without words, isn't it?

*

Mr. Yarets, wherever you are by now, good luck and have a safe trip. For more info about this man, click here.

Owh by the way before anyone asks. Belarus was a part of the Soviet Union.

About this entry