Relations

I read this on Bernama a few days back:

PUTRAJAYA, Sept 18 (Bernama) -- The government will draw up a race relations act to safeguard and strengthen relations among the different races in the country, Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar disclosed today.

Oh come on.. do we need another law to tell us how to be united, to create harmony among races. Do you think anyone would give a damn about it?

You know what I think we need more now? Friends from other races. How many Malays have good Chinese and Indian friends? How many Chinese have good Malay and Indian friends? Yeah sure, you might have some but what about the others?

I believe that people don't really think a lot about other races because they don't have any sort of relationship with them. When people don't feel any connection between them and others, they tend to treat the others as, well.. others.

Want one a good example? Hang around at a mamak someplace and see how people treat these mamaks. I was rather offended when a friend I brought over to my neighbourhood mamak in Equine Park used harsh words and tengok that fella who's taking order pakai sebelah mata only. Little did he knew that these mamak fella are all my friends for longer than I've know this 'superior' fella. I've been going there for 2 years. They fed me sahur for 2 Ramadan straight now. How could I not say that they're my friends? I know them all by name.

How much can we know about people just through out stereotype tinted eyes? How much can we know about people by just reading?

Orang Melayu kata tak kenal maka tak cinta kan? So come on now, let us all try and make a change. There's bound to be those people you've never talked to before in class. Why don't we all try approaching them and have a nice chat. We'll never know what we'll discover until we try kan?

About this entry