Ambitions


I've just watched the Petronas Deepavali ad on TV and it sure does pull the right strings in my heart. Hardwork, sacrifice.. all that good stuff.

If I remember it correctly, being a pilot is one of my earliest ambitions. My first ambition ever was to drive the mesin padi New Holland.. yeah, the harvester. Back then I live with my Tok Wan and our house was next to a paddy field. During the harvesting season these behemoth would come at nighttime with floodlights at the ready, sucking up all that paddy goodness into its belly. Awesome gile.

So yeah, the next one was to be a pilot lah. Quite typical actually for boys kan? I know this because all my male cousins too wanted to fly and airplane, the 747 to be exact. We didn't know anything about Airbus yet back then. I remember the first time I saw a picture of a MD DC10, the one with an engine on its sail.. Damn  I was hooked. Imagination runs wild.

Next up the chart was to be an architect. I had a role model in the family, my Mak Lang. She's an architect and her husband is an art teacher. That was probably when I started getting interested in arts and designs. Sure enough, most of my cousins followed suit. So the family's future went from the skies down onto the canvas.. or so we thought then.

Now eventhough I'm 20 in two months time and pursuing my degree in broadcasting and journalism, I'm still frankly wondering what am I going to do in the future. Ambitions changed before, why can't it happen now? I kindof have a plan for the future as anyone should. Still, I love the randomness of life and the surprises it have in store for me.

Whatever it is, c'est la vie.

About this entry