Melaka

Makam Hang Jebat

Coconut Shake

Becha

Tombstone on St. Paul

Tombstone on St. Paul

La Salle

Along Jonker Walk

Makam Hang Kasturi

Along Jonker Walk

Masjid at Jalan Tukang Emas

Neet!

"Melawat Melaka Berarti Melawat Malaysia", so the signboard says. Not entirely true I think. If all you can see about Malaysia history is the Kesultanan Melayu Melaka, then be my guest. Give me your home address and I'll send you a few books to read.

Anyway.

I found out one thing though from my trip there. According to Hikayat Hang Tuah, Hang Jebat was the one who stood up against the sultan for his cruelty towards Hang Tuah. Everybody knew that right? Well, according to Sulalatus Salatin or Sejarah Melayu, it was Hang Kasturi who derhaka.

If I remember correctly we often took Tun Sri Lanang's edited Sejarah Melayu as the accepted document on Malay history. So does that mean we should put Hang Kasturi into his rightful place? So was he the one who uttered the quote 'Raja adil raja disembah' or does it mean that if was never uttered at all outside the realms of the writer's mind?

Well, let's not get started on whether Hang Lekir and Hang Lekiu is the same person, the theory that they all came from China or even that they are the Malay version of the warriors of Mahabharata. Let's save that for another day.

All in all, Melaka is a fine city with a character of its own. I did a documentary last year on how tourism and the sudden excitement about preservation should be controlled as to prevent the creation of fake heritages in the city and I still stand firm to that belief.

And Neet, I had a great time in your city. I sure hope you enjoyed my company. I'll be coming back soon.

Minolta X700 + Fuji Superia Reala 100 (expired) + an expired film for an ancient city.

About this entry