Happy Birthday Mac!

As much as I love my Nikon these days, I tend to forget that other love in my heart; My Mac. Well, guess what.. I do remember you Mac and I also remembered that on this day, March 30th, one year ago I marched to One Utama with Mak to pick you up at MacAsia. I remeber how I felt the moment Gideon lifted you out of the box and put you on the table and said, "Here's your Mac".

I said to myself, "At last, I have a Mac!".

A lot of things happened in that short span of 1 year. This screen I'm staring now, it's not the original that came out of the box since I replaced it around 4 months ago. A good friend of mine obviously love the old screen so much he touched it so hard, his fingers burned the pixels in a form of four big dots in the middle of the screen.. and it kept growing. Then, I used it for 3 months without battery since I sent mine in for a recall and it took Apple that long to ship it from California back here. My Bluetooth died last month and I sent it for checkup only to discover that my hard disk is dying too, but that's not all.

Just looking at this pristine brushed aluminium exterior, you can see what this Mac had been through.The bottom plate are no longer even since the day my cousin threw it on the hard marble floor back home.. Eventhough it was still in the STM case, it still dented so you might wonder what would happened if the case were not there. I personally dropped it twice, once in Jakarta and once back home in my room while the bottom casing have scratch marks from Limkokwing's tables. This guy have been through a lot, you know what I'm saying?

Well, that's what you can see. What you can't see is a different matter all together. Nevertheless, it astounded me how durable this Mac really is eventhough at a glimpse it looks sort of delicate and fragile. I wonder what would happen to a Dell if I throw it.. would it still run? Anyway, I bought this Mac circa a month before your shiny new MacBook went on sale and I had to admit I was dishelved to hear that. I felt like stupid buying this machine compared to the cheaper, more powerful MacBooks but thank God for marketing class! I learnt that this behaviour is normal after a purchase so I begin to accept it as it is.

Now that I think about it, I don't actually feel a regret with this purchase since this Mac my dear, is among the last PowerBooks produced. The PowerBooks are from a long line of machines and when it came out, it basically revolutionized the laptop design which is still in use tody. Before Powerbooks you don't have your trackpad over there. Instead, your keyboard is nearer to you and you have to attach external pointing device.. you don't know that do you? Well, that's what Apple do I guess.. Innovate. And oh, It is also smaller and lighter than any Apple MacBooks, so there's another reason.

See, I can go on and on writing about my Mac which makes some people wonder if I'm crazy or not. I am crazy folks.. I'm crazy for my Mac! I bet you couldn't write as long about your Viao or your Toshiba.. Well, I'm not alone I guess. I spend most of my days stumbling upon stories after stories about people and their Mac with one of them dedicating a website for his dead TiBook G4 while others celebrate its birthday by having a party.. We are all crazy about our Macs. It's more than just a computer, it's a symbol of defiance, it's like being in your own community, it's because of the need to be different from others and of course, because we believe in the better life. If there is a future, it is with Macs.

Well, of course life is about progress and in a few years I might need to upgrade. But till that day comes, I am content about my life with my Mac, PowerBook G4 12" SD. Happy Birthday!

About this entry