Today's word is..

I was reading something on the web when I stumbled upon this word, Hubris. I actually read this word a few times before and I also remebered reading about it in Tun Hanif Omar's column in the NST. Well, I didn't bothered to look for the definition back then and I used to think that it's the name of some Greek philosopher. Haha.. I'm wrong.
hubris |ˈ(h)yoōbris|

noun

excessive pride or self-confidence.
• (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.

DERIVATIVES hubristic |(h)yoōˈbristik| adjective

ORIGIN Greek.
Now that I know what the meaning is, I remembered that I used to know learn about the same thing is MCKK during Islamic class. Ujub. Ujub is a great sin on par with Riak, though both are not necessaraly means the same thing. Riak is when you boast yourself to others while Ujub is in yourself, where you have excessive pride and self-confidence that makes you feel others as unworthy.

Learning never stops people. Even simple things like English can suprise you when you really look into it. That reminds me of a lot of Friendster profiles I stumbled upon where they have this field on Favourite Book. You know what most of them write in that field?
I don't read books

Me? Books? Hahaha
Well, some even went to the extend of mockingly write the Holy Book in a sarcastic kind of way. Do you fall in these categories? Then grow up. You are never too good to read books. Books are fun, books teaches you a lot of things, even more than you cool friends with bleached hair and driving dad's car can ever teach you. You enjoy The Lord of the Rings but where would that movie be if there's no book for it to be based on? You know what I'm saying?

Grow up kids, you're never too cool to read books. Even old books are new to those who haven't read them.

About this entry