Conspiracy Theory

Guess what, my lecturer said that it's okay to pass up the assignment on Monday instead of today. You know, the assignment I spend the whole last night doing? Yes, that one. Well, I don't know how to react to this news. I can't be angry since it offers me an opportunity to further brush up my work nor could I be happy because I've slaved myself over it. Hurm.. Anyway, he did checked my work and gave hints on where I could improve so I guess I'll go with being happy.

Anyway, reading Aiza's blog realizes me that I still have a few more articles to finish. Well, this is what life is for I guess. In class today Faizal Nafis lectured us on conspiracy theory under the Information Age module. Well, from what I got from the lecture is that human are a curious bunch where we love to look for answers for things and we also love to rebel, to not accept what is given thus leading us to explore altrnatives or as Faizal puts it, the other.

The human mind of us in the Information Age is different from other ages where we are in tuned to science more effectively than our predecessor. Therefore it is second nature for us to link the dots of a crtain events thus developing conspiracy theory. A much simpler way to understand the Internet where everything is interlinked to each other; pages to pages, servers to servers and what not. That is also what happen in conspiracy theory where you take one information and link it with several others.

Nevertheless, Faizal argued that the whole conspiracy theory is not real other than inside the human mind. The reason is that when a thing get to complicated and large, it gets out of control. Again, look at the Internet which its vastness cause it to be utterly out of control. For example, it is impossible to say that CIA is controling the media since the media is vast and impossible to control and it implies to other theories as well. You get what I mean right? But then again, some people argued that 80% of media output of the world is controled by 6 media corporation, therefore is it wrong to say that we are actually consuming what these mega corporations wants us to consume? Wicked isn't it?

True or false, people still believes in conspiracy theories. I know I do. Do you?

psstt: it's quite a cliché isn't it to put a picture of a flying saucer for this topic?

Labels:


About this entry