Poco-Poco

Man I got a serious headache.. I know I shouldn't have slept too long last night but then again, I didn't slept the night before that. This is weak..

Anyway, Hariri came here yesterday evening. He just came back for his 3rd semester at MCIIUM and since class won't commence till Thursday, he decided to visit me. Thanks dude. And oh, thanks too for the Poco-poco song.. man, I'm hooked!



Poco what? Well, Poco-poco is an Indonesian dance song which became famous 6 years ago.. something like Asareje, which got the whole republic dancing to the 12 steps of the Poco-poco dance. The whole song is sang in the Manado creole where Poco-poco means voluptuos. Me, I first heard it last year in Jakarta during Boy and Intan's wedding at Tante Yati's house. Indonesians and Malays though we have a lot of similarities, do also have a lot of differences as it turn out. Malay wedding usually revolve aroud the bride and groom while Indonesian as I see it, a wedding is a celebration for all those who come to the wedding.

They would celebrate throughout the whole day with bapak-bapak dan ibu-ibu of all ages joining in with the young ones, dancing to songs and some of them sang as well. It was quite a culture shock for me actually since back in Malaysia, you would never and I mean never see old people dance to dangdut and pop song. Never. But there in Indonesia, it was normal.

Well, I sort of regret actually not joining in the whole celebration with my Indonesian hosts and merely sat on a chair and became a spectator.. What can I do, I guess I was too shy and so are the rest of mine and Boy's family. Culture shocked I guess.

Culture shock consist of 4 stages. First is the honeymoon period where we enjoy the foreign culture as new and interesting. Then came in the shock where we begin to compare the culture against our own thus revealing to us things that we feel wrong and in this case, old people dancing and singing which is foreign to us Malays. We would then withdrew ourselves from this culture though after some time we would go in to the acceptance stage where wo would accept the foreign culture... I guess I never got to the 4th one. Shoot.

Anyway folks, enjoy the video up there. I promise I'll dance next time I went to an Indonesain wedding.. but when would that happen?
Balenggang pata-pata
Ngana pe goyang pica-pica
Ngana pe bodi poco-poco
Cuma ngana yang kita cinta
Cuma ngana yang kita sayang
Cuma ngana suka biking pusing

About this entry