Rude

Why do people have to be rude?

I was at the 7 Eleven just now when I saw this one girl at the Big Gulp machine. She obviously hasn't done it before and was experimenting on ways to get the water flowing from the tap. Kind of funny but then I heard the mother said something I could not ever imagine my mother would say:

Tolak la besi tu ngok..

Ngok. Did she just called he daughter 'ngok'? To those unfamiliar with the otherwise beautiful Malay language, 'ngok' is a shorter form of 'bongok' which in turn is a harsher version of 'bodoh', the Malay word for stupid. Why would someone, a mother especially, call her own daughter 'ngok' just because she don't know how the Big Gulp machine works?

The last time I checked, Islam teaches us that every word we utter is a prayer. I also learned that a mother's prayer is probably the best thing there is. That being said, can we conclude that the mother just prayed to God to make her daughter a 'ngok'? I don't want to judge people but I just couldn't accept her kind of parenting. I really really think that it's not the first or the last time she would say that word again to the poor little girl.

Thinking back don't you agree that sometimes Malays can be very rude with each other when we talk. Words such as 'bodoh and 'gila' are never not in most of our daily conversation especially with friends. Why eh? Let's talk about it..

Yang kurik itu kendi
Yang merah itu saga
Yang baik itu budi
Yang indah itu bahasa

About this entry