Aku, Kau, Dia, Kita

I'm close to being 20 and I feel awkward referring myself as a teenager anymore. Yet, I feel ill equipped to claim that I'm a full grown adult.

*

I went to watch Kami last night with Neet, Arif and Hariri. If you might remember, I did a posting about Kami the series sometimes ago where I praised the show for being sorta fresh and interesting. 

So yeah, my expectations were high indeed and I was really keen to see if the movie can be as good as the mini series.


Okay, here's the thing. The movie probably suffer a bit in the pacing department, especially during the first half and hour. It was kindof choppy and a bit draggy. It was only until about half way through the movie did I feel comfortable about everything. If this was HBO, I'll probably skip the channel.

Another thing that bothers me is the visual quality la. You know right, the TV series all the shots were superb, nice, clean, crispy colours and all. On the big screen however, the quality deteriorated somewhat, with some focussing problems and (gasp!) noise. I don't really know much about how they shot this movie but something tells me that it was not shot in film with budget as the obvious cost. Personally I have no trouble with digital videos but this is perhaps the first time I see them on the silver screen rather than on my 12 inch screen so yeah, I guess it's okay. After all this is an indie movie about the indie scene kan?

*

Pengetahuan am sekejap. Kalau aku tak silap la, satu can film costs about RM 500 and would usually hold up to about 4 to 5 minutes of footage. Video tapes, such as MiniDV, DV or Beta costs about less than 50 bucks a piece (MiniDV is RM 15) and can hold up to 30 minutes of footage. This things vary from one type of tape to the other but you can see the difference in cost la.

*

Technicalities aside, the story is there and if I may say this without spoiling it, it is not a happy one. There's a lot of emotions involved, a lot of anger and all that rage that young people are usually associated with. It's more than a bunch of kids going to gigs every other weekend, it's more than just girl loves boy, boy oblivious story. This movie is not about any one person that is in the cast but about them all, thus the name Kami. 

In a nutshell, this is a story about growing up, about life and about love. It is how we are all connected in this big scheme of things and like how Newton said it, our every actions have a reaction, equal and opposite. Kids make mistakes as much as adults do. At the end of the day, both need to learn from each other. No one is better than the other.

So yeah, the movie does have its share of flaws and plot holes. Technicalities and continuity gaps. Still, I guess it's a good movie for everyone to see, as long as you go in with an open mind and open heart. 

But yeah, RedFilms.. I honestly think you guys could have done it better.

About this entry