Gamerama

I've stopped playing computer games for quite a few years. I can't remember the last one I played. It was probably XIII, Icewind Dale 2, The Sims 2, GTA4, KotOR 1 & 2 and I can't remember the rest. Seriously. It's that long. Even with the games I mentioned just now, I only played it half way through. Never finished any of 'em.

It was probably the fact that I lack the hardware. Somehoe the Radeon back home was toasted. living me having to rely on just the on board Intel graphics, which of course, can't do much. It might also be because I use a Mac nowadays and there aren't many games for Macs and after the government's crackdown on pirated CDs, it's hard to buy new games.

On top of that, I feel that games these days lack essence. They are more heavy on the graphics side with whatever physics engine and whatnots while the story and gameplay tend to lack. Maybe that's because I dig RPGs. Love 'em. And by RPGs I mean standalone role playing games, not all that Massive Multiplayer whatever it is RPGs that people are crazy over now.

RPG games are my escapism. It's for me to forget for a while who I am and imagine that I'm a righteous paladin, fighting dragons, wild rabbits and at the same time exploring castles and forests while learning to speak Elvish. Not Elvis. Elvish.

What's my favourite RPG? I know kau tak tanya, tapi aku nak bagi tau ni. It's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. This is probably the best RPG ever. Everrr.


Yea, it's about 10 years old by this year and the graphics will win it no awards by todays standard, but the gameplay is hard to match. This isn't your ordinary hack and slack game like Diablo. Baldur's Gate emphasizes more on adventure and exploration. Sure you can hack and slash your way through it but stick to the dialogue mode and you'll find it so much rewarding.

So yeah, I'm suddenly in mood for retro gaming and I've just secured a copy of this game since my discs at home are already damaged. I only need to get that PC back home up and running again and I'll be off to Amn for the next I don't know for how long, talking to goblins and wild rabbits. Which would be much more fun this time around. Last time I played this game on and AMD K6-2 500Mhz PC. I think 3.2Ghz of Pentium 4 should make this old game run like a rabbit on cocaine.

*

If I ever buy a new PC, or Macs even, I would be very very much want to play this game.


My second love is the Red Alert series.

About this entry