Senses

I went to get myself some interesting films yesterday and got myself a roll of Fujichrome Sensia 200 to use with Arif's LC-A. I was looking for a Velvia actually but when I got back and googled up Sensia, I got excited. I can't wait to get this roll processed.

Here's a few sample I found from the web of people using Sensia on LC-A.



Photos courtesy of Daniel Go. Click here to see more.

Yeah, it's kind of weird kan? While everyone else is talking about megapixels, HDRs and all things digital.. here I am, getting excited about some celluloid. 

Oh well.. I want to at least experience the joy of films while they are still here. I don't want to miss out like with them polaroids. I only got excited about them after the factory stopped producing the films. A few months back a pack of 10 sheets cost RM45. Now, I dare you to find any polaroid left in KL. (By the way.. Anyone who still want to at least mimic the polaroid experience might want to try the Fuji Instax. Filem banyak lagi)

So yeah, I was chatting with the shop owner and from what he's saying these films are also counting down their days. I'm guessing that the professional films to go first.. the Velvia, Astia, Sensia, Provia. After that, the consumer ones will follow suit. It won't happen overnight, but it will eventually. It happen to everything okay?.. Don't expect jpeg to last forever too.

*

Here's some photo lingo.

When discussing about film, the speed is determined by the ISO: 50, 100, 200 etc. Most people know that. An ISO100 film requires half the light to produce an image an ISO50 film would need and so on.

But how do you differentiate the speed of lenses? Between a 50mm f1.8 and a 18-55mm f3.5, which one is faster?

In lens, you look at the aperture to determine how fast a lens is. A smaller number means the bigger the aperture opens so the bigger the aperture opens, the faster the lens is.

So since in the 50mm f1.8 the aperture opens bigger than the 18-55mm f3.5, the 50mm f1.8 is the faster lens. 

Easy kan? My dad told me before to always listen to conversation, even the ones you know nothing about. All you have to do is sit down, listen and remember the points. So next time when you find yourself in the same topic, mention those things you remember and voila! You are conversing. 

Of course, it is very recommended to go back home and research on the things you listened to.. you know, to understand it more and maybe you can avoid the trouble of misquoting. Heh.. been there. The topic was motorcycles.. Epic fail.

I've rarely joined any conversation about motorbikes again after that. Even more rarely than football I think..

*

I just hope hope hope that the LC-A doesn't screw up this time. Please please please don't..

About this entry