I have a sad Mac

I'm writing this post on my old.. I mean, ancient family desktop. Why? My Mac is in the hospital.. Well, I went to the Apple Store to get a checkup on the dead Bluetooth issue that have been bothering me a lot this few days and the doctors there told me another shocking news.. Bear with me folks.

I was just a routine checkup, I went there, said hi to the lady at the counter and tell her why I'm there. That lady just worked there I think, looking at her feebleness with paperworks as well as the fact that she doesn't know that PowerBooks can run without battery if you plug in the charger. Anyway, a few minutes later Barry the doctor came out from the inside and greeted me. Apparently he thought I came for the battery and explained to me that the replacement was still in California and I still had to wait a few weeks for the transplant. So I told him about the problem and he immediately took my Mac and had it diagnosed.. a peculiar one I must say. He plugged in the charger, pushed the power button and held the Mac next to his ear before calling me. He said:
Your Hard Disk is dying.. I can hear the sound. It's just the matter of sooner or later... It must've been through a lot of vibration..
I was stupefied.. What did I do wrong? Then almost suddenly came the image of my laptop being dropped in Jakarta and the time when my cousin throw it a few months ago appeared in my mind.. Oh shit. I guess Barry must've knew how I felt, he was after all the doctor: it's his job telling people sad stories like this. I asked him what the options are and he said that I should leave my Mac with him for the weekends and he'll do some diagnosis to see if there are any more problems with it and he also mentioned that a replacement hard disk shouldn't be that expensive.. I must say I'm somewhat relieved.

So after signing a few paperwork here and there, I left my baby with the doctor, my feeling both of hope and worry. Well folks, my Mac is 19 days short of his 1st birthday and yet I already had to go through all this.. do I regret purchasing a Mac? No.

The thing is, you really need to know your stuffs. You wouldn't dream that your laptop would outlive your desktop would you? Why? A desktop is stationary and the only time it moved is probably when you kicked it the last time it hanged. A laptop on the other hand travel with you and thus, moves constantly so I'm not really shocked at the thought of it needing repair at such a short while. Another fact is, PowerBook G4s and the new MacBook Pro is a little bit more fragile than the previous PowerBooks like the G3s which is very very durable at the expanse of form. Therefore, if you consider yourself to be abusive or careless, do consider the MacBook instead of the MacBook Pro which I believe is more durable due to the plastic outer case compared to the other's aluminum. Heck, why would you need MacBook Pro for? It's big, powerhungry and yes powerful. The only thing you do with computers is browse MySpace and chat right? Don't waste the extra power, go for MacBook folks.

Anyway, it's only been a few hours but I've already missed my Mac.. Get well soon dear! I miss you!

About this entry