About writing

About that story down there. I first wrote that story back in 2005 for the English paper in one of the exams. I think the question asked to write a short story starting from "I will always remember that day..." or something. I can't remember.

I was rather flattered that my English teacher, Ms. Sherry loved the story and gave me an A for it. It sorta encouraged me to write better for the upcoming exams though personally I don't think any of them is better than this one, except for maybe the Paris Hilton story. Heh..

Unfortunately though, I lost the original script of the story and this story is basically a rewritten story based on the same framework. I've been aching to write it back for quite a few months already but somehow I only managed to finish it this morning, a few hours before Subuh. This is the probably the first short story I've written since I left College.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I stopped writing things like this all this while and in my ego, I'm gonna put the blame on someone else. See, back in school we were taught to write creatively where flowery words and clever idioms are rewarded with kudos and acknowledgement. 

However, when I pursued my studies in Limkokwing, among the first classes I attended was called Advanced Business English. Here, I was taught how to write official letters in English and being official, everything was simple and straightforward. Gone were the thousand word essays, replaced by a simple hundred word letter and my idiom bank started to stagnate as my vocabulary drifted further away from creativity into the realms of boring, technical business speak.

Next semester I had to attend another writing class, Professional Writing. Sounds interesting right? Still, professional does not equates to creative. The first day I was in that class, my lecturer Mrs. Rose Chin made it clear that an A in SPM English does not impress her while an A in English Literature might impress her a little bit. Hurmm.. Anyway, what I learnt here revolves around how a professional article is written and the topics given was generally on analytical writing about comparing one thing to another and how to write critically about a subject matter. It was a good class that taught and helped me a lot on how to write my future essays and report as well as a lesson for me to always write a few drafts of a paper before pronouncing it as final. There are always things that you can improve.

Nonetheless, I feel that I stopped writing such things because I don't have anyone to write to you know. Back then I wasn't only writing to get As for the exam but I was writing it for my teacher to read. She didn't like me all that much mainly because of me always being away finishing up the magazine and the fact that I am somewhat dreamy. Haha.. It is just my way of showing her that I am good at something.

I just hope that this is not just a one time effort. I want to write more.

About this entry