Perfect Prefects?

Arif just came back from Kuala Kangsar for the Chinese New Year holidays and me, I've just walked from Cyberjaya back home to Rawang.. damn I'm tired. Anyway, as always he would feed me with the latest Malay College news, no matter if I ask or not so I just layan la.

Well, it turned out that Aleng is the current Head Prefect while curiously, Rhue is the Head Boy. It is acustomed to me to refer the KPKM President as the Head Boy though some consider the Head Prefect to be the Head Boy. Whatever.. It is great to hear that KPKM still survived till this day eventhough it went into a serious beating when Rauhi first came to the College. Nevertheless, the fact of Rhue as its president is somewhat of a shock actually since he is a Rauhi supporter of sort.. Hurm, College politics..

Anyway, the reason I write this post is actually because of the answer I got from Arif when I asked his who's the House Captain for Sulaiman House this year. Though I was expecting sport powerhouses like Sudin et al, the answer I got was a peculiar one; it is in fact a Prefect named Kimal. Why? Well, the administration decided that a Prefect should lead the house in accordance to another silly SBP decree. Shit.

I have nothing against prefect; some of my best friends are prefects in fact. But I for one believe that a Prefect's portfolio should remain as what is stated in the dictionary.
in some schools, a senior student authorized to enforce discipline
Nevertheless, the way I see it now it seems that the administration is trying to make this group sort of rolemodels for other students and give them other posts of power for them to reign. Why is that so? Isn't it their duty is to enforce the law? It's like telling a policeman to go and teach students at schools and lead an NGO. It is absurd.

To me, they are taking meritocracy a wee bit too high nowadays. When I was in Form 1, the prefects are elected based on their charisma and leadership in which they are both respected and feared by most people. Nevertheless, the trend now is to elect prefects based on academic results more than the charisma and leadership elements. As long as you can score in your exam, you can be a prefect. That ain't right..

The other thing that come to my mind is what about the others? The people who is a great leader on the field and in the dorm, just because he is not a prefect you guys think it's okay robbing him the opportunity to prove his mettle? How do you expect other people to shine when you seal all the path of opportunities by having a prefect there? That fella already have his place as a prefect, do give the other seats to someone else please.. Someone who doesn't have the priviledge to have a room on his own, wear a white nametag, a special badge and tie, a maroon blazer as well as one who walk, not ride his way to class.

They are after all, the cream of the Malays as well are they not?

Labels:


About this entry