Choices choices..

I guess most people would probably know that I'm quite a photography buff. Yes, buff as in a person who is enthusiastically interested in and very knowledgeable about a particular subject, not freak. Who ever started the term photo freak anyway? Sheesh. I even changed my phone just so that I can curi-curi snap photos of the ignorant brats on the LRT and blog about them anyway. Well, right now I'm in a really tight spot and in dire need to make decision: I'm getting a dSLR.

Well, dSLR stands for digital Single Lens Reflex camera which is the types of camera you see those journalist and photographers at your aunty's wedding use and not the one you keep in your handbag and snap pictures of your friends. It is big, bulky and usually black in colour. Now, of all the brands out there, two managed to get my attention; Nikon and Canon.

Nikon is perhaps the first thing that pops up my head everytime someone mention SLR. I'm quite familiar with the operation and yes, I am confortable with the quality of this breed. Anyway, they just came out with the new D40 models that replaced the very popular D50. Now, the D40 is somewhat similar to the D50 in terms of specifications and even outperforms it in several fields which is no suprise since the D40 is only a few months old. It is also the smallest dSLR across brands and with a RM 2500 pricetag, it is among the cheapest. The downside to it is that it lacks support to older lenses which means that though you can use it, you need to focus it manually since the autofocus won't work and it is only 6.2 megapixels (though I don't really give a damm anyway).

Canon on the other hand is tempting me with its new 10.2 megapixels EOS 400D dubbed the Digital Rebel XTi. This particular model is the successor of the very successful EOS 350D and it inherits all that is good about the older model and buck it all up with newer technologies. I've had experience holding this particualr model once, which belongs to my friend Hamed. Sizewise, it is somewhat the same as the Nikon D40 though the pricetag is somewhere around the 3 grand mark.

Now, I did mention that I don't really care about pixels count right? You want to know why? Well, the common person generally have this impression that the higher the pixel count of a camera, the better it is. That is somewaht true to some extend but you need also consider the density of the pixels. A 5 megapixel camera with 300DPI is better that a 6 megapixel with 72DPI (DPI = Dots per inch), so you see what I mean right? Still, I just can't get it right between both cameras. I want the Nikon but I just don't want to be disappointed later that I didn't take the Canon. Heck, even Sue Anna Joe uses the Canon! Hurm.. choices choices..

Well, maybe I need to stop thinking about the Sue Anna Joe.. she's a pro and I'm just a newbie. See, there's another element to consider: the photographer. Sheesh.. Anyway, tomorrow I might be going to Low Yatt Plaza to meet both camera face to face and compare both hands on. I hope by then, I will resolve this problem of mine..

About this entry